National Truck Driver’s Appreciation Week is almost upon us, so we thought it would be a good time to do an episode that is a tribute to the truck drivers of America. Before we hit the main topic I talk about my most recent trip on the road taking a load to Phoenix. Let’s just say it wasn’t the most smooth run I have ever done. You’ll have to listen to the episode to hear all the juicy details.
What To Expect From Episode 136
Trucking is one of the most demanding and important jobs in the United States. This is one of the best times of the year to show our appreciation for what drivers do because this Sunday, September 10th, is the beginning of National Truck Driver’s Appreciation Week. The American Trucking Association’s theme this year is, “Miles of Gratitude”. What do you think that means? We have some ideas that we share during the episode.
The trucking industry is one of the most critical industries in our country. Without us the economy would grind to a halt within a matter of days. Here are some cool statistics that came from the American Trucking Association:
- $940.8 billion in gross freight revenue from trucking, that is 80.7% of the nations freight bill in 2022.
- 46 billion tons of freight hauled, that is 72.6% of the total domestic tonnage shipped.
- $29.12 billion paid by commercial trucks in federal and state fuel taxes in 2021.
- 48 billion miles traveled by single-unit and combination commercial trucks in 2021. That’s 3,521 trips to the sun.
- 62 billion miles by combination trucks, tractor and trailer.
- 750,000 active motor carriers.
- 8% operate 10 or fewer trucks.
- 7% operate 100 or fewer trucks.
- 3.54 million truck drivers
Craig and I also talk about some of the things I really like about driving and what we appreciate about truck drivers. If you ever have any doubt about how important trucking is, just look at what happened to trucking verses many other industries during the COVID pandemic. We share some pretty cool comparisons that should make any truck driver proud.
To Larry, Trudy, Tyler, Shelly, Jeanie, Thomas, Paula, Charles and Joel, the current Haulin Assets team of drivers and to the rest of you 3.54 million drivers out there my family and I would like to thank you from the bottom of our hearts for all you do to help this amazing country be what it is. Thank you!
Listen to the Full Episode